Wouldn't it be cool if...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wouldn't it be cool if...

I seem to be finding a lot of parallels with this book and movies I have seen. This is not necessarily one of them, just something I thought would be cool. Have you seen the film "Neverending Story"? If so, remember what the book looked like? It was awesome! Leather bound with metal accents and that cool medallion on the front. Wouldn't it be awesome if they published a copy of HOL that was like that? Hardcover with leather, and instead of the little yellow compass on the front, they could put a big metal compass medallion on the cover. They could have the blue, red, and purple text, the brail, color plates and everything! There could be a little pocket in the back with all the little scraps and notes in it too. Truly worthy of a collector's edition re-print. Hey - perhaps I could make a cover like that to fit my copy. Hmmm...

I was watching the start of that film and noticed the guy told the kid about the book, This is not for you. I just thought that was weird [img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img] but yeah maybe we'll get our superdeluxe HOL someday when it takes over the world. Bwahahahahahaaaa!

Comment

Whoa! I had forgot about that part, good call!

Comment

that is the coolest thing ever!!!!!! (the «this is not for you» thing). i kind of don't like that movie, but hearing that makes me wanna see it again!! i TOTALLY think hol should have a special edition like that (mainly because i just want a freakin' full-colour edition!). nifty thread, this.

Comment

yeah, i was, like, rewatching the movie, and i never noticed how, like, bastian sat down to read about himself, but instead he found this door to a hallway that just kept, like, growing, and then he got lost and died of exposure. Neverending Story's definitely worth the second showing!!

Comment

Let us also recall that the ultimate "Villan" of the story is The Nothing.

Comment

i was just telling myself the other day that i hadnt seen that movie in a long time and low and behold, there is a post about on the board. odd. time to go to blockbuster

Comment

When I was a child, I used to pretend to be Atreyu.

That is all. Carry on.

Comment

I must say, the book is better than the movie. More dark and deep.

*s

Comment

When I was a kid, the "swamp of saddness" bit freaked me out. In times of stress, I am still known to shout "Artex, no!"

L.

Comment

I was about seven or eight when it came out in the cinema, so I think it was my nan who took me to see it.

Whenever I see it now everything feels a bit bigger around me - I still remember how much scarier it seemed when it was on a 20x40 ft screen (it was a tiny cinema in Norwich - I think its gone now).

(BTW - has anyone else noticed this: When Artax wakes Atreju up by nudging him, you can see a sugar cube fall out of frame. I think I read that on the IMDb, but I have also seen it. I love stuff like that - just like the stormtrooper banging his head in Star Wars)

Comment

ok, heres my story about this flick. i saw it when i was very young, but it had been out for quite some time. i still remember almost nothing about it, except for a few images. i remember the big flying dog, and i remember thinking it was a real dog, and wanting one. i remember some sort of talking rocks, ar something. i remember a scene on a raft with warwick davis(probably not) or something. thats about it. i geuss this post was not all that important, and my story kinda sucked.

one other thing: wasn't there some straight to video sequel.

(actually this whole post is a ploy to get people to say more about the movie, so i don't have to actually try to remember anything.)

Comment

Re:the straight-to-video sequel:

The original movie only covered about half of Michael Ende's novel. The sequel, which was basically crap, attempted to cover the second half of the book, but they didn't really do a good job of it.

However, in the sequel, Bastian is played by Jonathan Brandis, who was a minor teen heartthrob for my generation in junior high--so I watched it over and over. He was my first celebrity crush, really. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*s

Comment

The sequel only proved that Brandis was the real Nothing.

Comment

But just how blown away were you all by the revelation that Bastian was the "real" hero?

In re: a "deluxe" edition of HoL--in order to make it all genuine, I think it would need to be a big manila folder stuffed with a disarray of 8x11 notebook paper, postits, scrawled notations on bank statements, napkins, photos, and other ephemera, as described by
                              Johnny.

A clever book came out in 1980, when "The Blues Brothers" movie was released, giving the "history" of the characters via putative police documents, newspaper clippings and diary entries. "The Compleat Al" (about Weird Al Yankovic), and "Mr. Bean's Diary" (based on Rowan Atkinson's TV/movie character) did much of the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X