X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effects/Nightmares

Does anyone have any vivid experiences with lucid dreaming they could talk about? Anyone ever been able to make themselves fly, anything like that?

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

quote:
      Originally posted by Mr Hood:

it seems like youre looking at a mirror and drowning... the kinda dream in which dying, you awake.

[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: Mr Hood ]

i'm not, because the dream always starts with me climbing through a small tunnel from the water room to the dry room, and then the tunnel closes and disappears. and the room that is filling with water is always empty, where as the room i am in is always inhabited by me and some unidentified old woman. though i definitely wake up when i am about to die.

as for lucid dreaming, i do it occasionally, though i can't do it very often. usually it only happens if i see something in the dream that i recognize as something from another dream. and even then i often wake up just as i realize i'm dreaming. when i am lucid, my dreams are usually a little more realistic, though i still have a tendancy to go from one location to another with no intervening travel.

the strangest thing i have noticed when dreaming is that i can't read books or magazines. i can open them, and look in them, and there are words, but my eyes seem to just slide off the words, so that i can't read them. it's bizarre. does anyone else have this?

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

I had a nightmare last night that I was with a group of people who were all turning their CDs into an Italian Mafia boss. I was terrifed of the Mafia boss, and he was very displeased at how I stacked my CDs. But there was nothing to do but submit, as he was capable of creating horrors for me worse than death.

Displeased with how I had stacked my CDs, he told me to go to a certain store and wait there for one of his men. I knew this meant I was going to die; but I was too terrified to disobey, as I knew he could do things to me worse than death.

I went to the store and waited, and finally a black man showed up. He told me he was going to strike my face such that my nasal cartilidge stabbed through my brain and killed me, so I stood as he directed, then Bam! his palm struck my nose. Everything went black, and I wasn't breathing. I know I wasn't breathing in real life too, as my diaphragm started to expand in spasms, such that happens when I hold my breath a very long time. This woke me up, and I began breathing again.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

Yes, I heard it's impossible to read in dreams, something about how your subconcious can't interact with text? I have no idea. I might have heard this from Waking Life, which I know has been discussed...

Angelhaunt, that was trippy.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

i've always been under the influance that if you die in a dream you die in real life too...

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

quote:
              Originally posted by Statix:
              i've always been under the influance that if you die in a dream you die in real life too...

The week Lincoln was assassinated, he related this story to Lamon, who was in charge of his safety:

"About ten days ago I retired late. I had been up waiting for important dispatches from the front. I could not have been long in bed when I fell into a slumber, for I was weary. I soon began to dream. There seemed to be a death-like stillness about me. Then I heard subdued sobs, as if a number of people were weeping. . . . I went from room to room; no living person was in sight, but the mournful sounds of distress met me as I passed along. It was light in all the rooms; every object was familiar to me; but where were all the people who were grieving as if their hearts would break? . . . Determined to find the cause of such a state of things so mysterious and shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered. There I met with a sickening surprise. Before me was a catafalque, on which rested a corpse wrapped in funeral vestments. Around it were stationed soldiers who were acting as guards; and there was a throng of people. . . . 'Who is dead in the White ?' I demanded of one of the soldiers. 'The President,' was his reply, 'he was killed by an assassin!' "

From Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and the War Years, by Carl Sandberg.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

I don't have a recurring dream, but I do have a I see again and again in different contexts. It's always somewhere different, and I've never been in the , but I always see it and think, in my dream, "Oh, there's that again." Like it's nothing out of the ordinary. And then the dream just continues on its merry way.

It's this big, old, dilapidated farm that is clearly abandoned. All the windows are boarded up and the roof is starting to collapse.

It's really rather odd. I've been seeing it for probably about seven or eight years now. Does anyone else have anything like this? Like recurring locales in dreams or something? The is never significant in my dreams, but I'm wondering if it means something in my life. I think if I ever actually saw it in real life I would have a heart attack or something.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

i actually have a person like that, who shows up in all of my dreams. she is a woman in her late 20's or early 30's, and while i can't actually describe her, her face is very clear in my mind when i think about it. i always see her, but she always has a different role in my dreams. she has been showing up in my dreams for as long as i can remember. in fact, one of my earliest memories is of a dream, and it has her.

there is another girl who shows up in my dreams occasionally, though ot as often as the woman. the girl is probably around 18 or 19 and ihave seen her a few times in the last 3 or 4 years. the odd thing about her is i have no memory of her ever speaking to me or anyone.

you may notice, i take my dreaming very seriously. my favorite thing is sleep, and my favorite kind of sleep is dream sleep. doesn't matter if its a nightmare, lucid, sex, or whatever. i love it all.

and speaking of the reading thing, i don't think its mentioned directly in waking life(great movie by the way) except in the sense of the digital clock. it actually makes sense to me that i can't read, because dream imagery is mostly composed of memories, that are sort of disconnected and changed, and while you can memorize the appearance of a page of text, it takes an entirely different part of the brain to memorize the words, and i don't think that part is accessed during dreams. but it is still disquieting. that is what usually triggers lucid dreams for me, because i am more likely to look in a book than to hit a lightswitch.(though that does work too.)

god its late.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

quote:
                    Originally posted by malakite:
                    i actually have a person like that, who shows up in all of my dreams...

when i was about 13 i had a crush on a girl and i had recurring dreams about her...she was always just out of reach...just like in real life...and i never saw her face but i know it was her because she would talk to me....it was really creepy...

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

I also had a recurring...

I don't know what you would call it other than a 'thing.' It happened only in my childhood but to this day it scares me when I think about it.

I don't know how to describe it, because in my dream I never saw it--my eyes were always averted, or it was hidden by something. It was usually big--the size of a mountain at least, or if not that then I was very small. If I had to take a guess at what it was, I would say it was some kind of cross between a monster and a machine, with all kinds of moving pistons and levers that one could easily be crushed in. I remember always afraid of being crushed (it's coming back to me more as I type), sort of like a giant factory or something.

Anyway, it would always do the same thing. It would send out these... I don't know how to describe them other than 'pulses...' That is, these bursts of sound and feeling that would absolutely terrify me. I remember once I was walking on a bridge in the middle of a mountain range, and I remember falling to my knees every time I heard it. It seemed like the next one would just crush me, but it never did. I also associate the feeling with my father yelling. My father's not abusive, and he never was, but his yelling was always a childhood fear of mine. Anyway, whatever the dream was, I would just wait in terror for the next pulse--it was like trying to survive.

I had this dream (or this thing in my dream) quite a few times. None recently though. I would wake up relieved every time that it was over. Weird, I know, but true.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

I dream that I'm in my room with someone and suddenly the pictures on my wall start to disappear off the walls, but I'm the only one who sees it. I also have dreams that I throw something away and it keeps coming back.
                        Other dream-crawling up a steep black staircase and when I reach the last step, I fall all the way down. Probably just your run of the mill falling dream though.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

quote:
                          Originally posted by Angelhaunt:
                          I had a nightmare last night that I was with a group of people who were all turning their CDs into an Italian Mafia boss...

What, like piling tyres together to make the Michelin Man? Or that man who was really a pile of ducks in a latex suit in that Gary Larson cartoon?

It would take hundreds of CDs to make a person.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

...and you'd need shapes other than circles.

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

quote:
                              Originally posted by Themnoria:
                              ...and you'd need shapes other than circles.

not if you knew how to work with circles...

Comment

Effects/Nightmares

Yes, yes. Cut them in half, crush them. When I see the word Circle I am reminded of Pi (3.14159...etc) which, like the is infinite...

Comment

Working...
                                X