No announcement yet.

Effects/Nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never played Sistem Shock 2. I was quoting Peter Gabriel, for some reason, mainly because 'Kriegsaffe' means 'War monkey'.

Comment

• Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
      I've never played Sistem Shock 2. I was quoting Peter Gabriel, for some reason, mainly because 'Kriegsaffe' means 'War monkey'.
      #-o

So what have you played, anyway? Half Life 2, nope. System Shock 2, nope. Have you at least played Thief or Deus Ex?

Or are you a non-gamer?

Just so you know: in System Shock 2 there are lab monkeys gone crazy. They usually eat potato chips or drink orange juice till you (the enemy) come in sight. Then they let rip with ESP blasts. But that's not the main thing, really: the main thing is their sound, as I already said in the earlier post.

I'd highly recommend playing System Shock 2, even if you don't play games--even though learning the game is very tough.

Comment

• This isn't really the place to discuss this, but no I'm not a gamer, mainly because I find it difficult to stop once I've started, and I don't want to be an addict. Just recently when I was back at home a friend of mine and I sat up till four in the morning playing Heroes of Might and Magic IV, and when I was at uni I jeapordised my entire second year by playing more MarioKart64 than you would have thought humanly possible, let alone healthy.

I have occasionally toyed with the idea of getting a PS2, but I know that I just wouldn't do anything else, so I haven't, and I won't.

But to bring this back to nightmares, back in 1994 or so I played so much Syndicate that whenever I closed my eyes all I could see were those little red dots from the radar in the bottom left hand corner moving around. Either that or something from UFO: Enemy Unknown which I also played to death. :|

Comment

• Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
          I was quoting Peter Gabriel, for some reason, mainly because 'Kriegsaffe' means 'War monkey'.
          That it does. Comes from Hellboy.

"It's a monkey!"
          --"It's an ape!"
          "IT'S A MONKEY!!!" (destroy)

Comment

• Admitting to being of a highly suggestible nature--but two post hypnotic effects in the past 24 hours (after reading for 12 straight hours each day):

Yesterday afternoon, during my exploration of all matters blue, I hit the chapter about the SOS tapping being heard through the walls, about the middle of that, when it is getting very creepy--suddenly a John Philip Sousa march erupts somewhere in the room with me. Obviously a cell phone ring tone. My daughter comes running in. It's her phone. But we can't find it. It rings again. It sound very close and yet very far away (and without explaining why, I'm already freaking out on her a little). I put her on the land line and tell her to keep dialing herself until we can find it. I mean we are looking in places like the cushion under the cat's bed. Thirty minutes later, we finally find it. Where? Behind the pillow I been using to prop myself up on the couch so I could read more comfortably.

Nightmare. My husband is the sort of snorer who would wake the dead. I have a white noise machine next to the bed, Yosemite Falls, full blast. For years now. Can't sleep without it. So this morning, in the dream, I think I am awake (I hate those). It is utterly dark. I can hear my husband snoring and the noise machine masking it--but then I pick up a pattern in the sound, a kind of pulse of organic loudness that backs off and then comes back, each time at shorter intervals. I know what's going to happen, it's going to become a full fledged roar--and I'm trying to get awake enough to get out of bed before I have to hear it. I fail. The sound is awful. Then I really do wake up, nearly screaming. It was only 5 AM, but I got out of bed and haven't been back to sleep yet.

Probably doesn't help that my real name is Karen and that I write gothic novels about insane gothic s. Man, I am preloaded and hair-triggered for a monster like this. Having the time of my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Opaline

Nightmare. My husband is the sort of snorer who would wake the dead. I have a white noise machine next to the bed, Yosemite Falls, full blast. For years now. Can't sleep without it. So this morning, in the dream, I think I am awake (I hate those). It is utterly dark. I can hear my husband snoring and the noise machine masking it--but then I pick up a pattern in the sound, a kind of pulse of organic loudness that backs off and then comes back, each time at shorter intervals. I know what's going to happen, it's going to become a full fledged roar--and I'm trying to get awake enough to get out of bed before I have to hear it. I fail. The sound is awful. Then I really do wake up, nearly screaming. It was only 5 AM, but I got out of bed and haven't been back to sleep yet.

That has to be one of the best nightmares i have read. . .beauty!

Comment

• It wasn't all that beautiful to get through. Still, I know what inspired it. I was interested in the notion that the dream link to the book came as sound. But then, after I posted this and asked my husband if I disturbed his sleep--well, the answer came from a different level than I expected. He doesn't recall me waking up near 5 AM making noises. But. Later this evening he asked me if I was feeling guilty about something. I said no. He said that in my sleep I kept grabbing him and saying that I was sorry.

Um, no I have no recall of that. And no, I have nothing to be sorry for. We've been married 23 years.

Yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by Opaline
                  It wasn't all that beautiful to get through. Still, I know what inspired it. I was interested in the notion that the dream link to the book came as sound. But then, after I posted this and asked my husband if I disturbed his sleep--well, the answer came from a different level than I expected. He doesn't recall me waking up near 5 AM making noises. But. Later this evening he asked me if I was feeling guilty about something. I said no. He said that in my sleep I kept grabbing him and saying that I was sorry.

Um, no I have no recall of that. And no, I have nothing to be sorry for. We've been married 23 years.

Yet...
                  Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant experience. . .i just meant that it makes a good story now, very creepy - And that new detail too

My strange HoL inspired dream happened after i had awoken one morning around 5:30 am. i felt wide awake but it was to early and i wanted to sleep more. i stayed in bed and as i lied there a my mind turned to HoL. In particular, i starting thinking about caves, the deep underground caverns. . .and i guess this is where i started drifting.

i was in the woods and i came upon the entrance to a cave - not very large, but large enough for me to fit through. i moved toward the cave, i remember feeling curious. As i started entering the cave however, i became aware of thwo things: 1. that i had fallen asleep and was dreaming and 2. that i didn't want to go into the cave; It was a sudden, overpowering sensation - nothing i've ever felt in a dream before. Since i knew i was dreaming i thought if i could just move, i'd wake up. i had only been asleep for a couple minutes so i figured this should be easy ( i know about the different levels of sleep - psych 100), but i guess i had immediately gone into a deeper sleep, and even though i knew i was dreaming, i couldn't stop myself from going into the darkness. With every step i felt more panic and i was willing myself to move or make a sound- i thought if i make a sound my wife will hear it and wake me.

i remember the sensation of light draining away from me and just before i was in complete darkness, i woke up literally thrashing around and kind of moaning and my wife was asking me "what's wrong, are you ok?"

It may not sound like much, but i was shaken for a couple days, just because of the feelings that darkness gave me.

Comment

• The dreams in which you know you are dreaming and are trying to claw your way out of before the "bad thing" happens are the ones that leave us the most shaken. I think that the power of the Navidson Record, it is a dream that Karen cannot get out of before the bad thing happens. She can't save herself or her children or her husband because she can't seem to wake up enough to act.

Back in the 80's two Russian philosophers wrote a paper that became quite famous in lit crit circles about human response to the unknown. We either take the stance that the unknown is knowable and set about exploring or we hold that the unknown is evil and therefore must be barricaded against. Hence Science and Religion. What makes HoL so deeply resonante is that it shows both the necessity and the cost of each approach. I was talking with a fellow writer who had read the book and we were saying that the complexity of the thing sort of forestalls really connecting with characters in the tradtional narrative sense--but the sheer humanity of the whole enterprise was utterly heartbreaking and unforgettable. That element of the book fascinates me far more than the word play and code cracking puzzles.

Comment

• Yes, I agree with that.

The way this book represents much more realistic reactions from so many people about something like that actually happening, I think, is also what makes the story resonate so strongly after having finished it (obviously sor some more than others). The reactions are realistic ones, slow ones.

Stephen King did this sort of things well, I think, in the beginning of Bag of Bones. The lead in to the horror aspect was slow and creepier than some of the other things. But then, as he does, he went to the wild things that he's always written about; dreams of other people, ghosts, etc.

Comment

• Hey everyone, im new here.

Well, ive only been able to force myself all the way through the once, but i now own a copy and i am on my second time throught it.

Nightmares, most of them revolve around doors leading to doors leading to rooms leading to more doors. I keep looking for something but im not sure what exsactly. But i know i must find it before i wake up, unfortunaly, i never have found it.

As for side effects of the book...

1) Sometime during the reading of it i picked up the OCD of counting stairs. Still to this day over a year later, i must count every stair i walk on. If i dont, i have to count my way back up or down, and start over. It drives me mad to think that i dont know if there was 7 or 8 stairs in a paticular spot.

2) I can not be in a cold dark room with out a sorce of light longer than about 15 seconds. I break out into a cold sweat, start shaking and eventualy have a panic attack.

3) If i can not see the bottom of a set of stairs, i will not walk down them. Example, long stair case leading into a dark basment, it will not happen, about 3 or 4 steps down i have a panic attack.

I dont know if anyone else has been effected as seriously as i have, nor do i hope they have.

And to make one more thing clear. I was raised on horror. I was watching the Amitiville horror when i was in elementry school, no horror movie or book has effected me besides the occational startle or raised heart rate. MZD has given me a dark place to look for something that i look for in my dreams when i am awake. I am not sure if i am grateful or not yet.

Comment

• you sound looney, dude. =; [-(

Comment

• Not really nightmares, but more like that feeling of dread like there's something behind you (remember the first incident at the tatoo shop, in the hallway?). It's like that. If I don't allow myself to turn around once and a while, I start getting anxiety attacks. There's this one redlight that I hit every night driving home from my girlfriend's that gives me this feeling especially. And the more I try not to think about it, the more I can't get it out of my head, and I get too scared to look behind me.

Also...this is just a wierd thing that's started since reading this book. I always sleep with just a sheet, becuase I don't have an air conditioner in my room. It's been like two weeks straight now that I've woken up wrapped in my comforter. I even tried putting it across the room....I wake up in the comforter. I don't remember a thing, I do it in my sleep. I've done everything short of setting up a video camera to see what happens. It's been next to me, on the floor, under the bed, across the room, in the hallway, under a pile of books...same result, I wake up in the comforter.

Comment

• So, since I'm back and having just finished the book I was reading, i decidied to pick up HOL again yesterday. I forgot how disturbed I was the other times I read it.

1. I slept about a total of 1 1/2 hours last night.

2. About 1:30 am I decidied to pick up the book and read, giving up on sleep. Unfortunately, I was at the part where z. describes "Exploration #4" with the whole...

Trees in winter.
                              Blood on the kitchen floor.
                              One shot of a child (Daisy) crying.

all the way to Hollaway's rant "I'm lost. Out of food...there's something here...stalking me.."

That part always creeped the shit out of me. I was lying in bed on my stomach with the book on the floor in fron of me with only one of those clip-on book lights on. All of a sudden I didn't want to turn around, but I had to pee, and when I was done I couldn't bring myself to turn off the bathroom light and walk down the dark hall, so I left it on, then returned to bed for more not-sleeping. I always sleep like a rock, mind you.

So I was got on the bus this morning, took a seat, looked at the back of the seat in front of me, and , no shit, somebody had written "Hollaway" on it in black marker.

Not a nightmare, but still very odd, I think I would have preferred a nightmare. At least that would have meant that I was sleeping.

Why is ith that I can watch all the horror movies, Buffy, etc..with vampires, demons and all, but a 1/4" is what really terrifies me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chinawhite28
                                So, since I'm back and having just finished the book I was reading, i decidied to pick up HOL again yesterday. I forgot how disturbed I was the other times I read it.

1. I slept about a total of 1 1/2 hours last night.

2. About 1:30 am I decidied to pick up the book and read, giving up on sleep. Unfortunately, I was at the part where z. describes "Exploration #4" with the whole...

Trees in winter.
                                Blood on the kitchen floor.
                                One shot of a child (Daisy) crying.

all the way to Hollaway's rant "I'm lost. Out of food...there's something here...stalking me.."

That part always creeped the shit out of me. I was lying in bed on my stomach with the book on the floor in fron of me with only one of those clip-on book lights on. All of a sudden I didn't want to turn around, but I had to pee, and when I was done I couldn't bring myself to turn off the bathroom light and walk down the dark hall, so I left it on, then returned to bed for more not-sleeping. I always sleep like a rock, mind you.

So I was got on the bus this morning, took a seat, looked at the back of the seat in front of me, and , no shit, somebody had written "Hollaway" on it in black marker.

Not a nightmare, but still very odd, I think I would have preferred a nightmare. At least that would have meant that I was sleeping.

Why is ith that I can watch all the horror movies, Buffy, etc..with vampires, demons and all, but a 1/4" is what really terrifies me?
                                Okay here goes.
                                1) Your back? i didnt realise you left or who the hell you are.

2) Decidied is spelt d-e-c-i-d-e-d (a little advice from one bad speller to another)

3) The thought ofshit creeping out of you is disturbing enough for me, to now not sleep. Thanks

4) I had to pee? Well at least we ALL NOW KNOW your bodily functions work.

5) No shit? I thought shit was creeping out of you?now there is no shit? You should consult a doctor about that!

6) Buffy is what a four year old considers horror! Ohh look the vampire is coming, let me guess Buffy is going to punch him, flip him and yes kill him, how predictable! Maybe you should think before you post! Invest in some good horror, not that excuse for crappy TV

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X