X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving on.

Alright lifers it's monday, so I'm going to try and turn over a new leaf. That said....I did some research (gasp!), and I couldn't locate anything about page 371 in the search function. I think this page might be important for a number or reasons. First off he mentions the band Oasis, which is more famous for its feuding siblings than for their actual music; it also mentions Homer and Herbert Simpson. Now, I don't remember if they were twins seperated at birth, or if Herbert was the older brother, but, as I'm sure many of you know, Homer ruins Herbert's very successful car company which he'd built from the ground up. It seems to be important that he used both of these references as a hint to who the author of the book really is (I'm still of the mind that there IS a definitive answer out there and that he, MZD, left (tons of) hints to throw us all off, but somewhere in the pages the answer lies, although after rereading the book I'm (also) confident that I'm a fool and MZD is at this moment laughing; if you need to know why look at the middle of page 362, where he left the biggest clue of them all, in my opinion), and so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. And if this topic has already been discussed and I missed it in that handy little search function, sorry Fatty.
    Also, as a little side note, any possibility that the sample XXXX on the bottom of the page might not have actually have been sample XXXX, but instead something crossed out by Zampano? Its a stretch, and probably meaningless, but wouldn't it have made sense to just make it sample YYYY or WWWW instead, since Zampano, around those pages, was crossing out so much shit? Just a thought.....

Moving on.

quote:
    Originally posted by Ellacia:
    ...I did some research (gasp!), and I couldn't locate anything about page 371...

...First off he mentions the band Oasis, which is more famous for its feuding siblings than for their actual music; it also mentions Homer and Herbert Simpson. Now, I don't remember if they were twins seperated at birth, or if Herbert was the older brother, but, as I'm sure many of you know, Homer ruins Herbert's very successful car company which he'd built from the ground up...

This thread discusses the anachronisms mentioned on page 371.

In that thread, Jake mentions how Oasis did not release a single until 1994, about four years after the filming of the Navidson Record, and seemingly an embellishment by Zampano (who finished the Navidson Record in 1996).

To suggest that this is a mistake by Zampano seems unlikely, since great care was taken in the matter of Homer Simpson and Herbert Powell, since the episode in question ("Oh Brother Where Art Thou?") was broadcast on 21/02/1991, well within the Navidson's residence of the .

But yes - both good (and appropriate) modern examples of feuding twins.

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: fatwoul ]

Comment

Moving on.

Don't forget that The Simpsons is one of the only, if not the only, television show that is mentioned more than once. It's mentioned very early... either in the forward or first chapter. If I'm correct, it's an Itchy and Sctrachy reference... Yeah, they're the ones who always kill each other and stuff.

Comment

Moving on.

quote:
        Originally posted by Dawson:
        Don't forget that The Simpsons is one of the only, if not the only, television show that is mentioned more than once. It's mentioned very early... either in the forward or first chapter. If I'm correct, it's an Itchy and Sctrachy reference... Yeah, they're the ones who always kill each other and stuff.

It's also worth mentioning that this description of homer talking to his brother seems designed to stand out - there are dozens of reoccuring characters on the simpsons who could've been mentioned without raising an eyebrow. Instead, Z, or MZD, or whoever, chose Homer interacting with his brother, who only appears in two episodes. It seems to me that, among Simpsons fans anyway, this sentence is calculated to attract attention
        Also, if you want to get really overanalytical and start bringing up the jacob/essau stuff, homer's brother has hair, while homer is bald. And Homer is fatter, like Tom. They make specific mention of those two differences the first time they meet.

Comment

Moving on.

if you want to get really overanalytical
          isn't that what we're doing here? so does anyone know if they actually were twins or not? homer and herbert, i mean?

Comment

Moving on.

quote:
            Originally posted by alex cassun:

so does anyone know if they actually were twins or not? homer and herbert, i mean?

No, not twins, although they do look exactly alike, except for the hair, and the stomaches. It's an interesting situation though, if you're trying to fit it into the jacob/essau mold, since the one with no hair(homer) screws the one with hair out of his fortune by taking his place, having been invited to design a car.
            Interesting, since of course Tom, the one closer to Homer, did not screw Navy over, but instead sacrificed himself and ended up being killed. Might contribute to N's sense that things are backwards, that he should have been the one to die.

Comment

Moving on.

quote:
              Originally posted by alex cassun:
              isn't that what we're doing here? so does anyone know if they actually were twins or not? homer and herbert, i mean?

As far as I recall, Herbert was only Homer's half brother (following an encounter between Grandpa and a whore, I think). So, seeing as their mothers were different people, they could not be twins. Although I suppose conceivably (no pun intended) they could still have been born on the same day (if Grandpa had been really busy).

Comment

Moving on.

Yeah, I think you're right there. I kinda think the mother was like a circus freak or something. Carni-folk, maybe. Oh well.

Comment

Moving on.

why has no one mentioned the obvious difference in stupidity...car company...power plant...mansion...two story in the suburbs

Comment

Working...
                  X