tHe HoUse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tHe HoUse

Could someone explain to me why the sent back Navidson once Karen had found him, when earlier it had consumed and killed his brother Tom?

Matty

tHe HoUse

there are other good posts onthis about how navidson most likely died and the last two chapters were written by johnny truant.

Comment

tHe HoUse

You have to remember that Navidson did not write "The Navidson Record." Zampono did. Unless you claim that Zampono is Navidson. This, however would disprove the alternate ending theory.

Comment

tHe HoUse

I was the guy (one of em anyway) who thinks that Navidson didn't make it and the name of the lab that processed the film marked the end of the film. The problem is that if you think about too long, then you start to call into question the whole question of "well, it's a lie anyway, right?" Because Zampano made it all up or maybe Johnny made it up or who knows maybe his mom who occasionally seems faintly real wrote the damn thing...And then you think, well, did MZD actually write it? Maybe it wasn't him... maybe it IS real.
        And then it just gets too silly.

*)

Comment

tHe HoUse

I don't think considering that is actually silly... I grant you I'm a newbie, having just finished the book tonight. But I found some of the most surreal, intimate considerations of the book to be in contemplating the levels of reality false and true within the book. Early on I thought perhaps that was the point. Now I'm not so sure... it is, but as soon as you consider it, it becomes the antithesis of what the book is about.

Crap. Does anyone else know what I'm trying to say?

Comment

tHe HoUse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matty:
            [QB]Could someone explain to me why the sent back Navidson once Karen had found him, when earlier it had consumed and killed his brother Tom?

The didn't "give Navy back." The is an engulfing nothingness that brings out the inner fear in whoever enters.
            Taking that idea one step further, we observe that by conquering one's fear, it is possible to escape (defeat) the . There are three occurences of this.

1) Holloway's team in Exploration #4 enters the and is lost. Navy, Tom, and Reston face their tremendous fears and go in after them. The mission is a success and they make it out. You can't hold the deaths of Holloway or Jed against this triumph, as they are the ultimate result of the team's entry into the , not of the rescue.

2) Tom's rescue of Daisy. Tom faces his incredible fears of the horror he has already witnessed and rescues Daisy. Tom's death is after she has escaped the , meaning he conquered his fears and did what he set out to do, allbeit with an expensive price, his life.

3) Karen's rescue of Navy. You get the point....and while in this instance no one died, Navy does suffer numerous injuries that will haunt him the rest of his life.

Furthermore, I would disagree with the idea that Navy did not make it out of the . To go on here would make this a really really long post, so I'll cut to the chase. I have a theory that I wish to read the book again before stating, but I believe Johnny is the author of the book, with Navy and his representing his pyschological problems, which I think he does conquer in the end, and by Navy's escape from the we know Johnny will finally be all right. Well, as all right as anyone with his DNA could be.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: albuhtross ]

Comment

tHe HoUse

A point.. if Navidson never made it out of the , how was the film processed? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

tHe HoUse

Karen had the film before she supposedly saved Navy. This would explain the existence of the film without Navy's survival. However, I have found no other evidence besides the circumstance of the film ending at this certain point to point to the idea that Navy died. I think it is a very weak case so far. I also don't see the reason for such a change in ending except to prove that Zampono or another created the Navidson record ficticiously. In fact, it would make sense that the film which Karen had ended before her saving of Navy and since the was never re-entered, there would have been no more film to aquire.
                Navy, we must remember is the only character never to have met any of the narrators, unless Zampono did meet Navy or was Navy, something I have found to evidence for. This, I think is the strongest evidence of Navy's story being fictional. At least, the strongest evidence I have found.

Comment

Working...
                X