the house is god

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the house is god

some where in the book johnny is talking about girls that read to Zampano. One girl said she asked him if he had any children and said something to the extent of 'you are all my children'.

later on in the book navidson is writing the letter to Karen about how he needs to go back to the . on the letter he says 'our is god'...

maybe these are connected. i think it this book might be MZD's take at writing another bible if you can believe the bible is a fantastic work of fiction... i dunno thats just a thought i just started my fourth read through but this time im reading just the navidson record with out johnnys foot notes...

the is god

Maybe not a big deal, but I was just thinking about this today.

When Navy says that his is God. Is he suggesting that he thinks his is actually a, or the God. Or is he saying, "what I thought was our , is really God instead."

Comment

the is god

I always assumed he was saying that the was a material manifestation of God, you know eternal, boundless, mysterious, cold.

Comment

the is god

quote:
        Originally posted by crass:
        ...the fact that God only exists because we think he does ...

ive heard alot of people say that lately, and i cannot for the life of me figure out how it makes sense. i mean, if i stopped thinking texas exists, its not gonna stop existing. the same is true if i subsitute 'air' or 'potatoes' or 'bruce campbell' or 'bitches' for 'texas.'

"denial also means ignoring the possibilty of peril."

i dont know where this idea of gods existence depending on us thinking he exists came from, but i cant seem to figure it out.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convinving the world that he didnt exist."

i mean, come on, if everyone in Usual Suspects decided that Kaizer Soze wasnt real, would he just zip, dissapear?

maybe im just dense, i dont know

Comment

the is god

gods existence cannot be proved or disproved, and ultimatly it comes to a matter of faith.

are you willing to put your life in the hands of fate or a god? or are you willing to do things for yourself. i know this gets into that whole can of worms about determinism and such.

i guess, if your acting like there is no god, then for you there is no god, because whether god exists or not, it isnt affecting your actions. same thing if you act like god does exists, it doesnt matter one way or the other, your going to act the way you want to regardless of whether or not there is some omnipotent being waving their hands around controlling the world.

and on a side not, if god does exist, i have definitive proof god is a republican...along with santa being a democrat.

Comment

the is god

quote:

Applying this to the real world: for thousands of years God has been looked upon as all powerful, as being the supremely dominant being or anti-being. But in truth God is what we make him to be. We never actually see God, we just assume that hes there, that he caused that hurricane or that fire for some purpose. Its all just what we make him out to be, our imagination allows us to believe that things arent in our control, that something else that is much greater than us is in control. If we wanted to we could deny the existence of God and then he wouldnt exist because his existence as we know it is entirely based on the mind of the person. . . . .

Theres more I could write but instead Im going to play Enter the Matrix right now, which is the best fucking game ever!

Am I the only person who sees the irony in this post?

Comment

the is god

quote:
              ...No. Texas is among us materially as is the keyboard I'm typing on. It is not a manifestation of our imagination as is a dream or God.

Or maybe, y'know, it is

Comment

the is god

quote:
                Originally posted by fatwoul:

Or maybe, y'know, it is

To quote Aristotle, "A is A".

Comment

the is god

quote:
                  To quote Aristotle, "A is A".

So in that case is nothing nothing?

I don't understand how someone with such a blind grip of what is what can really take any enjoyment from of Leaves; a book where nothing is nothing; by that I mean that not one thing about the is truly nothing.

Comment

the is god

No, nothing is not nothing. That is a contradiction because nothing cant be anything because it is...nothing. A is A deals with reality, nothing not being real, not being a part of reality, has no real properties so it cant be defined with the term A is A. So because I follow a practical philosophy I cannot enjoy a book? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

the is god

i believe fatwoul ment nothing is nothing as in "no thing is nothing" as in, there is no detail in the book that is insignificant.

and actually nothing can be defined using A is A simly by stating that nothing is the lack of something, and "something" can always be defined by your said laws of reality. for instance, a vacuum is a nothing. there is nothing there, no matter to be defined...make it an infinite vacuum so there are no boundries...yet we understand what a vacuum is because that "nothing" is juxaposed with our knowledge that nothing is the lack of something. hope you followed that, because i didnt

Comment

the is god

quote:
                        Originally posted by John B.:
                        Am I the only person who sees the irony in this post?

Or maybe in keeping with this thread, are you the only person? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

the is god

quote:
                          No. Texas is among us materially as is the keyboard I'm typing on. It is not a manifestation of our imagination as is a dream or God.

i think the language barrier is preventing any real communication between us on the topic of god, for we do not use that word to refer to the same thing. although it is true there are some similarities in our conceptions of what god is, they are inconsequential, like the similarity of a laser beam and a goldfish: neither can whistle. i also think that my conception of god is unusual, which ive concluded is why i can never figure out what people mean when they say things about god.

enough of semantics, meet me at The Ghost! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Mr Hood ]

Comment

the is god

I though Navidson saying the was God was yet another attempt to define the Other.

Comment

the is god

quote:
                              Originally posted by Mr Hood:

ive heard alot of people say that lately, and i cannot for the life of me figure out how it makes sense. i mean, if i stopped thinking texas exists, its not gonna stop existing. the same is true if i subsitute 'air' or 'potatoes' or 'bruce campbell' or 'bitches' for 'texas.'

"denial also means ignoring the possibilty of peril."

i dont know where this idea of gods existence depending on us thinking he exists came from, but i cant seem to figure it out.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convinving the world that he didnt exist."

i mean, come on, if everyone in Usual Suspects decided that Kaizer Soze wasnt real, would he just zip, dissapear?

maybe im just dense, i dont know

On Texas, yes, it would not exist if you stopped thinking about it. It is merely land. It's our conditioning that puts the invisible borders around Texas. Same with the Kaizer Soze example. There would have been no plot in the whole movie if everyone didn't believe he existed. When it comes to God, ask one person from every faith in the world to describe God. You would have extremely different answers because of the "borders" that person was conditioned, or had created, to define God. To Navidson, in the letter, the borders are within the . He set them there, therefore, to him, they exist. If he did not think that, then it would not be God to anyone.

I could go on forever on this one. I'll just stop now.

Comment

Working...
                              X