X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etch a Poo air

Hi claro! Thanks for the insight. Mark studied Latin, so that's partly why these things come up a lot.

Do you have The Whalestoe Letters separate book? There is a dedication in French. I don't have it right now but maybe someone here can post it. It is a phrase that my friend (not fluent in French) said didn't make any sense.

Etch a Poo air

I have it in french.It says: For P. (possibly the Great Poe) Then it says:
    Les jours s'en vont tu demeures.
    Last year, I took a year of 8th grade french, but i have no idea what it means.

Comment

Etch a Poo air

Les jours s'en vont tu demeures.
      This means something to the effect of:
      The days go but you remain
      I'm going to France for the first time at the beginning of August and I'm trying to brush up. I hope that's right!

Irene [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Etch a Poo air

Poe and Mark's mom's name is Priscilla, so it could be dedicated to her also.

Just to make this more understandable...claro is actually translating the book for publication in France. Definitely something to watch out for. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Etch a Poo air

Hi. I'm HoL'french translator, and as you can imagine this forum is very useful for me. I havn't read it all, so i give you this info:
          p. 520, the mother of the child in ICU says: "Etch a Poo air", which is phonetic latin for "Ecce puer" (like Ecce homo: here is the man, but here "puer" means "child".
          I've also noticed that in the long list of architects or moviemakers, some names appear twice.
          Gee, i still get translating nightmares…

Comment

Etch a Poo air

puer...right, latin for boy.

So Pelafina is etching (creating) a boy? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

AbcdefghiJohnnyz = DNE

dammit there is so much to the whole Pelafina theory...it blows all the other ones out of the water.

Comment

Etch a Poo air

etch a poo air....ecce puer=there is a child. not etching a boy

Comment

Etch a Poo air

But the pun is there, in a Finnegans Wake kind of way.

Comment

Etch a Poo air

"Behold the child" is interesting in comparison with Zampano's comment about "creating a son" on page 543 (fatwoul mentions this in another thread).
                  Childbirth is a creation, and since I don't really know where else to go with this, I'll let someone else chew the fat.

Comment

Etch a Poo air

quote:
                    Originally posted by Reader:
                    "Behold the child" is interesting in comparison with Zampano's comment about "creating a son" on page 543...

Is it? Why?

Comment

Etch a Poo air

Okay, in my sleep-deprived state last night, it sure SEEMED interesting. It still kind of does, but like I said, I'm not sure what to make of it.
                      Why a son? Why not a daughter?
                      Johnny is born 9 months later than the passage on 543 is dated.
                      Furthermore, what Zampano says his son would be like is kind of like Johnny.
                      Eh, okay. . .just some random thoughts. I need more sleep still.

Comment

Etch a Poo air

i still think that we have been so swept up in the relationship between pela and zamp that we have failed to observe the relationship between zamp and donny. heres what i think happened:

donny and pela are married. pela has an affair with zamp(resulting in johnny? i don't know). donny finds out. donny gets angry, and kills zampano. pela finds out, and it drives her mad. donny places her in the whalestoe. then, overcome with guilt and anger whenever he sees johnny, he fakes his own death. but he soon finds that he has nowhere to go. so, he assumes the identity of zampano. he finds that zamp was working on a book, about a fictional film. donny, swept up in becoming zamp, decides to continue the book. he throws in little pieces that tie back to his life with pela and johnnny. that is why, when johnny reads TNR it affects him so much. because as far as he knows, it was written by someone he didn't know, but it has so many parallels with his own life. he feels like the letters he has from pelas time in the whalestoe may be able to shed some on the mysterious ramblings of this blind madman.

i go into some of this in more detail in the thread titled 'a woman who will love my ironies.'

Comment

Etch a Poo air

i've often toyed with scenarios like that (not exactly, but similar). try adding this to the equation, malakite.
                          donny & zamp as brothers (i was pondering this possibility at work today). it sorta makes sense. i'll try to post my full idea when i have more time. for now, i gotta dash.

Comment

Etch a Poo air

quote:
                            Originally posted by flyonthewall:
                            i've often toyed with scenarios like that (not exactly, but similar). try adding this to the equation, malakite.
                            donny & zamp as brothers (i was pondering this possibility at work today). it sorta makes sense. i'll try to post my full idea when i have more time. for now, i gotta dash.

"addendum"
                            and if zamp and donny were twins, it would be all the easier for zamp to assume donny's identity

Comment

Etch a Poo air

quote:
                              Originally posted by claro:
                              p. 520, the mother of the child in ICU says: "Etch a Poo air", which is phonetic latin for "Ecce puer" (like Ecce homo: here is the man, but here "puer" means "child".

This will make me seem as geeky as a Trekkie
                              But the proper way to say it is "eh-kay" not "etchay"
                              And don't be tryin' ta tell me it's church latin
                              cuz when Pilate said ecce homo the Romans worshipped Saturn

wikkiwikkiwikkipropah!

Comment

Working...
                              X