Epigraphs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epigraphs

I don't have my text handy at the moment, but I'll risk posting this thread anyway (before I forget about it).

Has anyone considered the epigraphs at the beginning of the chapters?

I'll post more on this later, when I have my text, but it would be interesting to hear other's comments.

Epigraphs

Just a question for clarification...what exactly do you mean? What am I to consider? The epigraphs are there to make you think and have some relevance (in their own strange way) to the chapter. Next time, have your text handy so you can be clearer. If it isn't handy when you think of a question, write yourself a note. Cool? Cool. Thanks. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Epigraphs

Hmm thats true most of them are relevant to some extent.

The one that i think is somewhat out of place is the one that introduces "What Some Have Thought."

In his nightcap and dressing gown he patches the gaps in the structure of the universe ---Heine

Heine?
      FREUD--Ed.

or something like that.

But what does that have to do with Karen's piece?

Comment

Epigraphs

Nack,
        That bit about "patching the gaps" might--MIGHT--add fuel to Fatwoul's theory about Karen being the author of HoL.
        Reader shared with me her observation that many, if not most, of the epigraphs: the people to which they are attributed are either not real authors or are not their original authors. As only one example, one epigraph is attributed to "Dietrich Kinckerbocker." Knickerbocker is actually a creation of Washington Irving. Perhaps the epigraphs provide yet more grist for the echo mill? Certainly, such instances raise yet again the issue of attribution that the novel's various texts raise, as discussed most recently in the "livre. [sic]" thread: who said/wrote/edited what? Also note that while most of the chapters have epigraphs, not all of them do. Does their absence signal the presence of something significant in those chapters?

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: John B. ]

Comment

Epigraphs

There's the section in which the gap opens up between the bookshelf and the wall. It is part of chapter V, but it begins like all the other chapters do (on a new page, first letter in a larger point and in bold, even a space for a chapter number and epigraph).

Comment

Epigraphs

Thanks for the replies thus far; I'm glad at least a couple of people seriously responded.

I was vague for a reason. I was interested in what people would come up with without a leading question. Apparently, I missed.

Stencil notes what I was curious about on page 55. It appears to begin an entirely new chapter but without the chapter headings.

As for the epigraphs--I was going to run with the theory that all the epigraphs were said by someone other than who it was attributed to (for example: Deidrich Knickerbocker doesn't say the quote at the beginning of one of the earlier chapters, the story teller does). However, that theory, when tested, doesn't seem to hold up.

I guess I'll be busy writing myself some notes now. I certainly wouldn't want to post anymore incomplete thoughts.

Comment

Epigraphs

Hmmm I think John is on to something. There maybe is more, but if you look at Johnny's quotes in the back of the book there is a quote attributed to a character in Lord Jim. Was it not written by Joseph Conrad?

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: Nackelbend and Zips ]

Comment

Epigraphs

Reader indeed was the inspiration for my comments about the epigraphs. My apologies for not acknowledging that fact; I would have much preferred, in fact, that she had shared them on this thread as she shared them with me.
                I'm amending the earlier post.

Comment

Working...
                X