Yggdrasil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil in Norse mythology is an ash tree that supports the universe:"A wonderous ash-tree, YGGDRASIL, supported the universe. It struck its roots through the worlds. Three roots there are to Yggdrasil. Hel lives beneath the first. Beneath the second the frost giants, and men beneath the third." It is also said that "one of the roots goes up to Asgard." Beside this root was a well of white water, URDA'S WELL, so holy that none might drink of it. The three NORNS guarded it, who allot their lives to the sons of men, and assign them to their fate. The three were URDA(the past), VERDANDI(the present), and SKULD(the future). Here each day the gods came, passing over the quivering rainbow bridge to sit beside the well and pass judgement on the deeds of men. Another well beneath the root was THE WELL OF KNOWLEDGE, guarded by MIMIR THE WISE. Over Yggdrasil, as over Asgard, hung the threat of destruction. Like the gods, it too was doomed to die. A serpent and his brood gnawed continuously at the root beside Niflheim, Hel's home. Someday they will succeed in killing the tree, and the universe will come crashing down.

Mythology (Hamilton)p461

Yggdrasil

Shit man, thats is some fascinating information. You know what I can't get out of my head though is why is always written in blue.

Comment

Yggdrasil

[img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Yggdrasil

quote:
        Originally posted by VoiceOfMyEyes:
        Yggdrasil in Norse mythology is an ash tree that supports the universe:"A wonderous ash-tree, YGGDRASIL, supported the universe. It struck its roots through the worlds. Three roots there are to Yggdrasil. Hel lives beneath the first. Beneath the second the frost giants, and men beneath the third." It is also said that "one of the roots goes up to Asgard." Beside this root was a well of white water, URDA'S WELL, so holy that none might drink of it. The three NORNS guarded it, who allot their lives to the sons of men, and assign them to their fate. The three were URDA(the past), VERDANDI(the present), and SKULD(the future). Here each day the gods came, passing over the quivering rainbow bridge to sit beside the well and pass judgement on the deeds of men. Another well beneath the root was THE WELL OF KNOWLEDGE, guarded by MIMIR THE WISE. Over Yggdrasil, as over Asgard, hung the threat of destruction. Like the gods, it too was doomed to die. A serpent and his brood gnawed continuously at the root beside Niflheim, Hel's home. Someday they will succeed in killing the tree, and the universe will come crashing down.

Mythology (Hamilton)p461

For some reason I expected that someone who is familiar with BBs enough to apply code to italicise text would also try the odd search.

Apparently not:

Last Page: Yggdrasil?

yggdrasil????

yggdrasil stuff…kyrie revelations?

Yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil - the key to the book?

Yggdrasil, Twins, Kids, and Gods

more yggdrasil and mythology

yggdrasil

And that's just the threads where Yggdrasil is mentioned in the subject bar alone - the others run into pages and pages.

What's my point? Just that perhaps it comes across as a little insulting for someone to post stuff like that, apparently on the assumption that three and half thousand other members have never thought to find out about Yggdrasil before. I am sure you were just being helpful, and that grumpy bastard fatwoul has yet again killed the enthusiasm out of a newbie.

But rather than arguing with me about it, how about using that energy on occasionally using the search function?

Comment

Yggdrasil

Fatwoul's inept assumptions lead him to the belief that I was simply to lazy to use the search function. Seemingly, he never gave thought to the possibility that I might have.(Imagine that.) And because this tag is new, that MUST make me a newbie. Yes, Fatwoul, I've read a few of your other posts, so I won't belittle your lackluster intelligence or waste any of my time pondering how you found Danielewski's book in the children's section of your local library in the first place. There's no use in flogging a dead horse, so to speak. So carry on with your random, innane non-sequitors. They amuse a good number of the three thousand plus members, at the very least. Au revoir.

Comment

Yggdrasil

quote:
            Fatwoul's inept assumptions...

They would be inept assumptions if they were wrong. However, nothing of what you said at the top of this thread has not been discussed on at least one of the threads I mentioned.

Furthermore, if you are an established member using a new ID, then you should no better than to recyle old information that you should already know is well-discussed.

Au revoir to you too. A bientot.

Comment

Yggdrasil

quote:
              Originally posted by zerolous:
              Shit man, thats is some fascinating information. You know what I can't get out of my head though is why is always written in blue.

Clearly your comment was too clever for this person, zero - better luck next time.

Comment

Yggdrasil

but ummmm... well why start a thread with information that has been discussed numerous times? i mean its admirable that you did the research, but you could always just respond to an old thread, thus bumping it to the top, where upon everyone could refresh their memories about Yggdrasil....I dunno, but if u are a "newbie" welcome to the board. If not.. welcome back?

Comment

Yggdrasil

Now things are made clear. The minimal time it took you to retort only enlightens me to the fact that you, a seemingly self-proclaimed regular, hover over these boards like a senile grandmother, quick only to critique other's inputs rather than proffer anything valuable yourself. Mea culpa, I did not mean to agitate the master(s) of this site. I posted what I did where I did for reasons entirely my own. If you did not understand or agree, it's okay. But realize what your opinion really means to the rest of reality, please. And Zero's comment didn't warrant a response, but feel free to use him as ammo in your fruitless campaign to continue berating random 'newbies'. My comment about 'MUST be a newbie' in no way insinuated that I was a regular feigning virginity. It merely focused on your quickness to assume. Either way, you'll keep on contributing worthless comments on the actions of others, and we'll keep on laughing. Oh, the humanity of it all.

Comment

Yggdrasil

quote:
                    ...you'll keep on contributing worthless comments on the actions of others, and we'll keep on laughing. Oh, the humanity of it all.

We? I count you on the defensive, and at least 2 and a half on the offensive. I would therefore suggest that "we", in your case, is a little inaccurate, as are most of your observations, baseless and unsupported (indeed unsupportable) accusations and jibes in my direction.

The fact, for example, that you so quickly responded to my reply immediately indicates your own hovering around the board.

You are trying very hard to look clever, and for that I congratulate you, since from your level it must be a challenge. However, you really must think a little more carefully about your comments.

[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: fatwoul ]

Comment

Yggdrasil

Was there even a point to that last reply? It sounded more like my previous comments blandly regurgitated. 'Unsupportable'? Elaboration would help to validate your ramblings, you know. Oh contraire, mon ami. I don't try to sound intelligent at all. That I do to you, though, is no surprise, let me assure you. Trying to dissolve my 'we' was actually a shockingly sub-par attempt on your part to single me out from the rest of us who are not even remotely interested in your verbal meanderings. I, on the other hand, realize that wasting more of my time on simpletons only pulls me down towards your level. Again, I apologize. I shouldn't pick on those, shall we say, lesser mentally equipped than myself. Time to rebait your hook.

Comment

Yggdrasil

quote:
                        ...It sounded more like my previous comments blandly regurgitated...

I assure you, however; there is absolutely no way that I could ever hope to exceed your incredible ability to be bland. Rest assured that your record is safe, at least until you decide to create yet another new ID.

As far as being regurgitated, that was precisely the point I made; pretty much every single item on your agenda against me can be equally levelled at yourself. As such, to criticise you without using the same observations you made yourself would be difficult. That is what makes your hypocricy so futile.

Also, though you did not say that you are an old member using a new ID, the mere fact that you said you have read some of my posts is still sufficient to indicate that the post that started this thread was deliberately intended to bait members such as myself into telling you to use the search function, or present other sarcastic comments, giving you all the justification you needed to look clever in your put-down response. If you really just wanted a fight, masterlamo's tactic of calling everyone nigger seemed much easier, and less inclined to make you look like someone pretending to be smarter than they really are.

Perhaps you should stick to that kind of thing for now.

Having said that, you're actually starting to amuse me. Not sure why. Nonetheless, you will not stay long, so I should try and make the most of this amusement.

Try to resist the urge to "sink to my level" once again - you just keep making yourself look silly.

[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: fatwoul ]

Comment

Yggdrasil

Ok, let's see here. What do we have? Hmm..I see an adolescent male, somewhat smarter than most, bored with finger-banging Suzy Hottencrotch, deciding to try and make other people see his genius. OOOHH I'm so very impressed with your quoting of blase French. You must be so very much smarter than I.

Thing I can't really figure out is: why did you post that useless regurgitation? Are you trying to draw us out? It works. Are you trying to sound like you have a clue? That's not reading so well. If you want to impress me by talking about symbolism, or maybe making a connection between the three phases of the book I'll listen. Want to keep being a dumbass? I'll continue laughing.

Oh, and it helps if you don't use the same phrasing with your other screen-names.

Comment

Yggdrasil

Hey Howard,

Is "Bowling for Columbine" as good as the reviews say? Should I go see it?

Comment

Yggdrasil

Wow, good to see that this forum is not without the snide comments and responses like all other forums....
                              That said, at least they are entertaining and at least one side is intelligent...you know who you are.
                              Glad to find a forum dedicated to this book I have been proing over for the past year or so. Maybe you can enlighten me on some of the contents.

Comment

Working...
                              X