what have I missed after my 8 month hibernation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what have I missed after my 8 month hibernation

I have just recently started coming back to HOL and would like to Know if there has been any real revalations or if anything important has come up. thanks

(boy I cannot spell worth anything)

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: drewdragon ]

what have I missed after my 8 month hibernation

quote:
    Originally posted by drewdragon:
    I have just recently started coming back to HOL and would like to Know if there has been any real revalations or if anything important has come up...

I decoded the list of photographers on page 64 onwards.

I'm sure I wasn't the first, but I'm damned if I could find any other mentions of what I discovered.

Beyond the A LONG LIST OF VISIONARIES thing at the start of footnote 75, I went on to find the following things deeper in the footnote too:

SHE SAID MEMORIES ARE ALL BUT THEY ARE ALL DEAD

I WAIT NOW ONLY FOR THE WIND

I think these lines have a lot to do with the stuff about the Sybil of Cumae in her bottle.

Like I said, I'm sure someone else found this, but they didn't mention it here, so I did a few months ago.

Other than that, not much else I can claim credit to, other than apparently being a major cog in the gradual downfall of the board.

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: fatwoul ]

Comment

*bump*

someone mentioned this in the LJ comm of Leaves...

I found it interesting.

Comment

Apparently we've been outed as an "old boys club". Does this mean I can now wear my slippers and dressing gown with impunity?

Comment

ah, here is the one I was looking for...

Comment

Originally posted by zakalwe
            Apparently we've been outed as an "old boys club". Does this mean I can now wear my slippers and dressing gown with impunity?
            Hell, why not? I'm usually barefoot when I get here.

Besides, that was probably somebody who didn't bother trying to learn something when he got here. But there all of you go again, hating another newcommer, how dare you.

Comment

Re: what have I missed after my 8 month hibernation

Originally posted by fatwoul
              ...I WAIT NOW ONLY FOR THE WIND...
              What winds? A key? Is it a wait for a meteorological "wind", or a locksmith's "wind"?

Is it a reference to the kye key?

Comment

Or does he just want someone to come and get him outta there?

Comment

Is that you telling me you said the wind/wind thing before, or you linking to that thread about Operation Frequent Wind? Or are you just linking to another interpretation?

Has anybody else noticed the search function sucking unusually badly today?

Comment

B and C.

Although the 'Wind (as in "to wind something up")' thing has of course come up before, yes, namely on pp. 118 and 399. Neither of those instances mention keys though, and it's interesting that keys don't merely lock and unlock.

Comment

and it's interesting that keys don't merely lock and unlock.

Aye. They can make sweet, sweet music.

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                        B and C.

Although the 'Wind (as in "to wind something up")' thing has of course come up before, yes, namely on pp. 118 and 399. Neither of those instances mention keys though, and it's interesting that keys don't merely lock and unlock.
                        Yes that's what I mean. It's terribly frustrating to have these things on the tips of my fingers and not be able to confirm them with my copy of HoL. Thank you for the page numbers that escaped me.

I know it's a loose and silly interpretation (the wind/key thing I brought up), but it did interest me how the connection seems to rarely discussed here.

The big red key is, of course, not the sort of key that winds things - it has the shape of a normal front door key, but still, I wanted to think about it, and wanted to get that thinking in here.

Comment

I just wanted to say that it's so odd being a newcomer here. This thread shows up at the top of the page, I read it, linearly, like an ongoing conversation. Then I go back over it, notice the dates of the posts. There are years-long gaps in this conversation. And yet upon first reading, I would've sworn this was all typed today. Almost every thread is like this to read.

Stephen King once wrote that writing is the only form of time-travel. I sit here and write something, and years from now someone can read it, interact with me as I am now, not as I will be, a real person, whenever this is read. Interesting to think about.

Carry on.

Comment

Yes, it's odd. It's not uncommon for people to respond (often quite aggressively, interestingly enough) to comments made by people months or even years previously.

Anyway, with all due respect to fatwoul, I'm not entirely sure why any of this is going on in this thread and not this one, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                              ...Anyway, with all due respect to fatwoul, I'm not entirely sure why any of this is going on in this thread and not this one, to be honest.
                              That is the thread I spent a good (or rather bad) 10 minutes trying to find.

Maybe you're so drenched in smarm that it's got in your eyes. Maybe you didn't see me type this earlier on:

Originally posted by fatwoul
                              ...Has anybody else noticed the search function sucking unusually badly today?
                              Every search I performed rendered 3-5 pages of results, but only the first page showed any of those results - subsequent pages came up empty stating that no matches were found for my search criteria. If you had more success with the search function than I had, perhaps it would have been sufficient for you to simply reply "no".

Comment

Working...
                              X