Typo or significance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typo or significance?

Page 320...firts full paragraph, third sentance. Here it is from the beginning though... "Regrettably, Tom fails to stop at a sip. A few hours later he has finished off the whole fifth as well as half a bottle of wine. He might have spent all night drinking had extion not caught up with me." He might have spent all night drinking had extion not caught up with ME. Who is Me? Zampano? Johnny? MZD? The sentance makes no sence if it is Tom. Is this an insight that there may have been more detail added here as to what Tom did that night while drinking if (again, Z, JT, MZD) weren't too tired to write about it? Or is it a typo? I don't think Typo is the way to go. The rest of the book is so precise that it doesn't seem like this would have been passed over. Given the fact that so many other aspects of HoL shine with ambiguity, I think it is safe to presume that this has some indication that someone other than Tom is indeed speaking here, and because of it we are missing out on a bit of the story. Who is tired and out of it. Well, i suppose you could argueably state that every character is in some way exted...This sentance is killing me. Is the exted from all the shifting and manipulating? I just don't know. Thought I'd throw it out there for you all to chew on. Lemme know. Thanks.

Typo or significance?

read the next half page. it's obviously will speaking.

Comment

Typo or significance?

This sentence has baffled all who have read it. There are many more posts regarding it. Heh!

Comment

Typo or significance?

Azrael, first and foremost, there is nothing obvious within HoL. Secondly, I do not think there is any possible way it is Navy speaking. He is not the narrator of the Navidson Record, as we are told, it is Zampano. As we imply, it is P or JT. Thanks for your imput, but I just don't see how that is possible. and if Will is not the one writing it, it doesn't even make sense that he would be saying He might have spent all night drinking had extion not caught up with me. maybe if the line were more to the tune of He might have spent all night drinking had I not stopped him, or something, but the extion part only seems to fit if the writer is the one who is exted, and I dont' see how it could be Navy. Also, at this time, Navy is 54,545 miles down the staircase. Just my thoughts...

Comment

Typo or significance?

I always thought about that too.. "he might have spent all night drinking had extion not cought up with ME. I always just thought that maybe... the author of the book might have gone into MORE detail and showed Tom drinking more, but Extion had cought up with him and he was too tired to put anything else in, so he just left it like that.MAYBE???

Comment

Typo or significance?

Kressa, I agree. But then it begs the question, Which author? Oh the circles we think in for this book. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Typo or significance?

I've always thought of it as an indication of the fabrication of the Navidson Record by its author (whether it be Z, JT, or P...choose your favorite theory).

To me, it implies that the author is living this story a bit too much, and would have had Tom drinking much more, if (s)he had not become too tired to elaborate.

I, myself, don't totally subscribe to this interpretation, but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.

****whoa. sorry to sound like I'm repeating...looks like we're all posting at pretty much the same time. Heh!

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: ThomasJ ]

Comment

Typo or significance?

well shit. you got me. i degress, navy was two spans of the circumfrence of the earth (or there about) below the great hall, and the top of the staircase, but for the sake of argument (and saving my ball sack) let's pretend that it WAS navy. it'd make sense, wouldn't it? I mean, is anyone really even in the ? it's my theory that the doesn't even exist. z makes several references to schizophrenia in the book, myself citing those, why couldn't it be a figment of their psyches? all characters from the navidson record have different emotional and mental problems, be it karen with her various infidelities and sexual flings, or will with delia, holloway (do i even have to say?) to even chad, uprooted from his life in new york only to be pushed around in school.

i've lost interest

Az

Comment

Typo or significance?

personally i believe this is all a reflection of johnny (the "writer" of the entire book) loosing track of where his life begins and the books life begins ie when he is writing about tom drinking himself silly he is actually writing about how he binged on alcohol

Comment

Typo or significance?

Old man Z is Tom. Ok. After the ate Tom what happened to him... Well, maybe he found a way out huh? another place another time. becomes old man Z. I mean, if Navy only lost an eye from seeing the soul of the , wouldn't it be said that someone who was there long enough would go blind...

JSB

Comment

Typo or significance?

I'll accept the theory that Zampano could possibly be Tom. So Tom survives, escapes the and makes his way to LA, blind and crazy, the could do that to a person. (1) However, if we accept this as having happened, how would Tom/Zampano know how the rest of the events turned out?
                      Well I have two theories on that, staying with the theme of Tom as Zampano. The first is out there, much like the book. Perhaps Tom becomes one with the for a while, actually a part of it. In this capacity he would be able to see everything thats going on.
                      The second theory is that once the Navidson Record was completed, Tom/Zampano managed to get a hold of it and "view" it, one way or another.
                      Ofcourse in order for this theory to be true the whole timeline of the book would have to be shifted backwards, to account for something. Shit, I lost my train of thought, I'll get back to you on that. Meanwhile, any ideas?

(1) see list of members to this board

Comment

Typo or significance?

I don't know, I really like the idea of this just being something else Johnny changed without telling us. I think he's done that in the book more than we have realized. "Water heater," yeah, he told us about that one, but as he spirals down into insanity, I'm sure that he made a number of changes that make the story fit more into his life and experiences, as "water heater' did.

Well, that was a run-on sentence.

*s

Comment

Typo or significance?

See also:
                          http://www.ofleaves.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000648

Comment

Typo or significance?

Thanks for the suggestion fatwoul, I actually read that one and two other threads besides the one I chose to tack onto, in the end though I had to choose one, and that one most closely expressed the idea which I wanted to expand on.

I see the point made about johnny spiraling downward, therefore changes are made within the book which reflect his level of confusion, I just like the idea that the could actually swallow a person in the way that they might become a part of it for a while. It might explain why it almost seems alive in its actions. You have to admit the plays coy at first, only showing a little, then opening up more and more the more the and Navy get to know each other. Its like a courtship, a dance, a grand romance. Sometimes we try to kill the ones we love.

Comment

Typo or significance?

quote:
                              Originally posted by zerolous:
                              I'll accept the theory that Zampano could possibly be Tom.

The Old Man => T O M

Back to a 'what's in a name' argumentation, there is also this Gelsomina character in La Strada (cf. all the threads relating to Fellini in the HOL), which sounds very Pelafina-like, doesn't it?

Moreover, The Fool character gives Gelsamina his necklace => the gold necklace given by Pelafina to Johnny.

Many possible conclusions from here:
                              Z = Tom and he was in love with Pelafina = Karen, thus providing all this guilt/love relationships bewteen the two brothers and the lover, althoug in La Strada, Z. kills the Fool...

STOP
                              [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sylla.

Comment

Working...
                              X