X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollinaire - French - Vietnamese - Herero

In the English edition of the book is a text completely written in French. It begins with a poem by Apollinaire. In the French translation this text appears in Vietnamese, whereas the German translation has a version in Herero (Namibia was a German colony until 1909). In which language does this text appear in the Dutch edition?

French

Comment

Aha, dank je wel! Do you have informations about the other editions/translations as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Magda
        Aha, dank je wel! Do you have informations about the other editions/translations as well?
        Yes. I own all the translations.

Comment

You must be a true fan. And in all these editions Apollinaire is in French?

Comment

Originally posted by Magda
            You must be a true fan. And in all these editions Apollinaire is in French?
            Either that or I'm just really really obsessed. My friends like to give me a hard time about that.

US-French
            German- Herero (as you've pointed out)
            Japanese-French and Japanese
            Uk-French
            Dutch-French
            French-Vietnamese
            Greek-French
            Serbian-French
            Italian-French

Is Herero common knowledge in Germany?

Comment

Vietnam was a colony of France as the Hereros were members of the German colony in South-West Africa.

Pynchon talks quite a bit about the Hereros, especially their involvement with rocket development in World War II, they're the Schwarzkommando in Gravity's Rainbow. There was also a lengthy scene in V. where some German colonists and Military officers hid out from the Herero uprising.

Comment

Good info, Jux. :)

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Heartbreak, for the information!

The Herero uprising is another sad chapter in German history. The first concentration camps were built up there. In the early thirties some thousand africans with a German passport lived in Berlin becoming offers of the Hitlerian race policy after the Nazi takeover. Others escaped to France and joined the Foreign Legion. I don't know whether that is important for ZampanÚ's story...

Comment

Golf Tips Discover The Magic

Golf Tips Discover The Magic

Golf is a physical and a mental game. There are many ways to impove your game. You can improve your swing, your putting, and your shot. We will look at a variety of tips for different facets of your game. These are tips for the beginner but a pro could conceivably benefit from their use.Golf will get you outdoors and will get you moving. The combination of physical and mental activity will keep you sharp. Every course and every shot is different. You don't have to shoot par or have a perfect game to have fun. . It is a contest primarily with yourself to see if you can use your understanding of the game and your practices to improve on your game.

Comment

Working...
                    X