screenplay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screenplay?

has anyone attempted a screenplay or treatment of the novel?

screenplay?

According to US copyright law, you need to buy the rights to a book before you even write the script. And MZD ain't selling. Of course, if you just wanted to write it and circulate it among friends probably no harm would come, but you couldn't submit it anywhere, and probably shouldn't post it at Zoetrope or Triggerstreet, etc. By the way, isn't this a Dutch forum?

Comment

screenplay?

Err...

Comment

screenplay?

hola!

Comment

screenplay?

I've started to come up with some ideas for a screenplay but it's just going around my closest friends who have read the book.
          Besides, I don't have enough money for MZD even if he were to sell it, which I hope he doesn't... It'd be nice, but Hollywood always seems to screw up great peices of work. But yeah, I'm in the process of writing one, but only between friends.

Comment

screenplay?

I've begun working on adapting the book (well, throughing around ideas anyhow) but where it goes, i've got no idea. I agree that hollywood does screw up most of the books they turn to movies, but i think that of Leaves would be the exception, especially if put in the right hands. If someone like David Fincher or David Lynch got a hold of this I think it would be mindblowing. The novel is genius, there is so much going on that could be used, and the story itself has left much to the imagination, which always makes for a more enjoyable movie. But of course, this all comes down to the author, and I hope that he wants to see this as much as I do. also, If anyone knows how to go about begging for the rights to make a screenplay (legally) could you please let me know?

Comment

screenplay?

I've begun working on adapting the book (well, throughing around ideas anyhow) but where it goes, i've got no idea. I agree that hollywood does screw up most of the books they turn to movies, but i think that of Leaves would be the exception, especially if put in the right hands. If someone like David Fincher or David Lynch got a hold of this I think it would be mindblowing. The novel is genius, there is so much going on that could be used, and the story itself has left much to the imagination, which always makes for a more enjoyable movie. But of course, this all comes down to the author, and I hope that he wants to see this as much as I do. also, If anyone knows how to go about begging for the rights to make a screenplay (legally) could you please let me know?

Comment

screenplay?

I'm sure that if MZD also had a large part in the production it'd be even better since he is after all the author. But it all comes down to one thing, the author wanting his book to become a movie. Hopefully one day it'll happen.

Comment

screenplay?

Ok, this is the Dutch forum, so you're posting in the wrong place for discussion on this anyway.

Also, MZD has said that HoL will never, ever, ever be a movie. If you're looking for more info, I invite you to do a search in the English forum.

Comment

screenplay?

I think he should sell the movie rights with strings, meaning that he retains artistic control of his work.
                    Maybe it's because of Hollywood's crapifying of so many good books that MZD said he'd never ever sell.
                    But we all know it'd make a good movie if done right.

Comment

screenplay?

ain't nobody out there that can sell "with strings"
                      unless you name be Grisham or Stephen King
                      ain't you never heard that weirdo Ann Rice gripe that
                      Tom Cruise never in hell could be a good Lestat?
                      and you check it out but I bet you'll find
                      that she outsells HoL by a thousand times!

Comment

screenplay?

Hi. I suppose you're right. But what's the basis of your knowledge about selling rights to Hollywood?

Maybe Rice sold the rights before she even considered who would play Lestat, then said, "Doh!" afterward.

I think that holding out this long has already helped MZD. His 'firm' stance on never selling the rights only makes those rights more valuable (and possibly more desirable). If the whole, "It'll never be a film" thing was marketing, it's brilliant.
                        So there's that bargaining chip, the built-in audience of 'obsessed' fans, and MZD's knowledge of film/photography that could strengthen.

But who am I to say?

Maybe he should just make it himself on Hi-8 (or whatever's the going, cool camera these days) and bring it to Sundance. Then, after it's already made just how he wants, someone'll beg for distribution rights. I'd volunteer to play Johnny. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But really, who am I to say? I can hardly rhyme.

Since this is the Dutch forum, I thought I'd say something Dutch. I was in Oodland (sp?, some Amsterdam local pronounced it that way) back before they all switched to euros. The 25 guilder note blew me away it was so beautiful. It was bright, bold yellow with this huge sunflower taking up half of the face. (American money is so fucking boring.) I kept meaning to save one, but ended up spending all the money on White Widow, Skunk, and blond hash. I had been walking around Europe for a month at that point and couldn't spare the 12 bucks that the guilder note was worth. I have regretted it ever since.

Comment

screenplay?

Yeah wrong forum I know, mea maxima culpa, but can I just say that if MZD ever does sell the rights to HOL (I guess he will eventually) I hope ADRIEN BRODY gets to play Johnny T.
                          BTW I miss the sunflower note ("geeltje"), dearly, too! It was truly beautiful.

Comment

screenplay?

naah.. i really dont even know wot uz r goin on bout?? sum book or sumthin? i havent a clue

Comment

screenplay?

quote:
                              Originally posted by balloonmatt:
                              naah.. i really dont even know wot uz r goin on bout?? sum book or sumthin? i havent a clue

Hahahahahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                              X