X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Johnny - Track 11

I've searched the site using the site's search engine, and I can't seem to find any reference of this anywhere, so this may be a new idea... then again, I only recently discovered this place and its very very likely that this has already been discussed... anyway, if I'm being a silly newb, feel free to delete this. Otherwise, I'm curious...

The lyrics for Track 11 - Dear Johnny are:

Johnny dear, don't be afraid.
    I will keep your secret safe.
    Bring me to the blind man who
    lost you in his of blue.

Okay, aside from being creepy sounding, this is riffe with connections to HoL.

It seems to me that this is from one of the Whalestoe Letters sent to Johnny by his mother, but I don't remember it actually being present in the book. The blind man that she mentions is obviously Zampan'o.

Now, if this is Johnny's mother (Pelafina? I can't remember.) then perhaps she's asking to be taken to Zampan'o in order to get revenge on him for "harming" her son by driving him mad. If this is the case, then when she also says "lost you in his of blue" that suggests that the and thus The Navidson Record were simply creations of Zampan'o's sad (blue) mind, and Johnny was driven mad trying to decipher Zampan'o's mind, which has been suggested numerous other times on this site.

Perhaps my pointing this out is unnecessary and already done, but I thought it was a very strong supporting point in the idea that Zampan'o has created this whole mess in his head. What this doesn't tell us is if Zampan'o is actually Johnny or not...

Dear Johnny: pg. 296-300 J.T.; the hard cover end papers; pg. 638 (Nov.27th '88) The Letters

Comment

Oh, that's interesting... the copy I read was missing p. 638... thanks.

Comment

Seriously? How did that happen?

Comment

the book is probably slowly imploding... for whatever reason, it started with that page.

Comment

:: shrugs :: The binding machine missed that page? It's slowly imploding and will eventually pull me in with it? Take your pick, I'm up for either option.

Comment

Ok i just think that this just refers to King Mino's great labryith(no i can't spell) and its inhabitant the Minotaur. Basically Zampano has created this vast thing that traps teh mind, and it has obviously trapped Johnny and he is now lost within Zampano's creation just as the Minotaur was trapped in King Mino's great creation. just my two cents... wait this thing is over six months old. crappers...

Comment

Yea, this thread seems old, but you can be proud of me, i used the search function to find it.

I was listening to a breif clip of "Dear Johnny" and all I heard was the creepy voice saying
                "Dear Johnny, don't be afraid I will keep your secret safe" Now because "safe" starts with "s" I don't know of secret was plural or not.

I read p. 638
                "Open yourself to me. I will not harm your secrets."

But I truly don't believe those are the secrets reffered to in the song. Is there some grandiose secret that Johnny has kept from his mother? Please fill me in, I seem to be a bit lost.

Comment

wow....been a month, still no replies? its okay, I got another question.

is there a code on pages 296=300? I know that certain things are underlined, and they are in this order

The Navidson Record
                  ignis fatuus
                  really
                  The Atrocity
                  who left it open?
                  but whose
                  inside!
                  The Atrocity
                  The Atrocity
                  The Atrocity
                  The Atrocity

I guess it would help alot if I knew what ignis fatuus means...just help me out here, still in the dark about all of this

Comment

Will-o'-the-Wisp. (p. 488)

Comment

Originally posted by neurotoxicromantic
                      The Navidson Record
                      ignis fatuus
                      really
                      The Atrocity
                      who left it open?
                      but whose
                      inside!
                      The Atrocity
                      The Atrocity
                      The Atrocity
                      The Atrocity
                      I noticed that, too. The only thing I could come up with was, reading it straight, it says "the Navidson Record is misleading. (The atrocity) Who left it open? (answer: Navidson) But who's inside? (answer: The atrocity)

It's saying the Navidson Record is misleading and there is a minotaur inside????(sharply ascending in pitch to a high squeak) Mostly, I think it was saying that The Navidson Record is just a metaphor for the Atrocity sinking or vice-versa. I don't have my book. This was written by Zampano', yes?

Comment

No, Johnny. Johnny underlines everything instead of italicising it, because that's harder to achieve on a typerwriter.

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                          No, Johnny. Johnny underlines everything instead of italicising it, because that's harder to achieve on a typerwriter.
                          Oh, well there goes my theory...or...hmm...I guess depending on how you look at it, this could back up the "Johnny=Zampano" theory. It could mean that he wrote both stories and this is where he relates them, or it could just mean that he's being driven mad by TNR and relating it to his own experience. The prior would also hint that Pelafina did know Zampano because she knew about the Atrocity's sinking.
                          OR it could mean that I am going crazy and confusing the hell out of everyone, which would mean that I am, in fact, Pelafina. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by fearful_syzygy
                            I have wondered about that, though:

From what I've read about the publishing industry, you actually do underline instead of italicise your manuscript when you're sending it to an editor for publication. The editor/typesetters then italicize the text appropriately. That's an old custom and might not be applicable now, but it kind of makes you wonder why those underlines stayed instead of italicising, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by sutrix
                              That's an old custom and might not be applicable now, but it kind of makes you wonder why those underlines stayed instead of italicising, doesn't it?
                              Well not really. The editors put Johnny's text in Courier, and I think it's just customary to underline rather than italicise in Courier. It also increases the immediacy of Johnny's footnotes, because it makes it look more like Johnny's actually typing them right then and there, with no intermediary.

Comment

Working...
                              X