Speaking Blasphemy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking Blasphemy

Alright, I'm aabout to probably get lynched, but in all honesty, I think Poe is crap. I think her haunted album being connected to the book is the equivalent of MZD tossing her a bone. Sort of "Hmm...my sister is a mediocre lyricist with even worse backing music....I'll toss her a few freebies to connect with my work of art to make her feel "special".

I mean honestly, the Haunted album having jack to do with of Leaves beyond a few catch phrases and a few very carefuly planned sound bites...it's garbage. Poe is......well..not that talented. Her bro is doing her a favor by connecting her to the book in my opinion. And at the same time, doing his book a disservice.
    But OMG! say the fanboys etc....seriously, listen to her album. She tries to rap ala Blondie for gods sake......

I like Poe. She's not trying to be Mozart. Will she be remembered in 20 years? Certainly not. But she's as good as early Sinead O'Connor or Kate Bush or other fem singers. Actually I don't know what that genre is called. It's not rock really or punk. It's just good music, not all that profoundly signifnicant, but not trying to be. Nothing in Haunted is hard to listen to at least. Which is more than I can say for Sinead O'Connor's later albums.

Comment

Personally, I think she's got a pretty good voice. I don't like how she plugs the album as being this "tie" to of Leaves, and then fills the album with mostly references to her own life, her father, her childhood, etc. I think that's it wonderful that she wanted to make an album as somewhat of a "dedication" to her father, but frankly, she shouldn't have said that it was ALL about of Leaves, because it's really not.

Lyrically: she's okay. Some of the stuff is too abstract, like she was trying to sound random and deep, but just made me think, "what the hell? great now I have to research this just to get the song!" Books are one thing, but when you listen to a CD, especially one of music, not narration, you should get the song without any complex backstories and stuff. But like I said, some of it was cool.

Musically: this is what really did it for me. Some of the songs just have great chord progressions, background ambiences, specifically placed echoes and voice recordings, etc. Certain songs like Haunted, Hey Pretty, or Wild just happen to have good sounding stuff...at least to me.

And finally Poe herself: pretty damn good. Not great at times, but pretty good. For instance, in the song 5 and a Half Minute Hallway, she starts off easy, nice, and very pleasant, but then something happens...the song turns into this crap melody and things go haywire. I can't see how the melody itself would've ever taken a turn like this, and so I have to conclude that Poe wrote the song for singing and then tried to put music behind it...big mistake. Although she truly shines in my favorite song on the album, Spanish Doll. Her voice is sublimely creepy, and yet stunning and beautiful. I have no complaints with that track and that track alone. Superbly executed.

Overall, I like Poe. her music may be "just okay" but she actually seems pretty nice and in my opinion, complete assholes have pumped out a lot worse stuff than this...and whether the connection is worthwhile or not, at least the album bears some relation to this, wonderful, wonderful book.

Comment

Originally posted by Desplain
        I think that's it wonderful that she wanted to make an album as somewhat of a "dedication" to her father, but frankly, she shouldn't have said that it was ALL about of Leaves, because it's really not.
        Really? Have you been reading the forums? Have you considered that perhaps of Leaves is about their father? So perhaps it has everything to do with it.

Comment

Also, did you expect her to regurgitate her brother's book or use it as inspiration for creativity of her own?

Comment

eally? Have you been reading the forums? Have you considered that perhaps of Leaves is about their father? So perhaps it has everything to do with it.

Everything is little much, isn't it? I mean, even if MZD wrote the entire thing about his father, it has gone so far beyond that, so you can't really say that one CD or book has EVERYTHING to do with it. And I can't really believe that a 736 page book that goes in every which way and covers dozens of topics, genres, themes, and types of literature can be looked at as ONLY about Tad Z. Danielewski.

Comment

I appreciate your opinion, richard. Some of your thoughts are exactly what I was expecting when I bought Haunted. However, now I have listened to the album probably more times than is healthy or sane, I hear things a little differently.

I admit to being somewhat musically illiterate, so my reaction is based on simple observations and feelings invoked by the music.

I personally like the way Poe sounds. I find her voice very expressive. For instance, the line "and I will always miss you" in Haunted feels very painful to me, because of the way it is sung, while the line "you're breaking my stride" in Terrible Thought feels very frustrated, resentful and angry.

Perhaps I think too much, but I hear (and am still finding out) more connections to HoL than just "a few catch phrases and a few very carefuly planned sound bites". I have noticed that my interpretation of a few aspects of HoL has been helped along by Poe.

For instance, I didn't catch the implications of "Lemon Meringue" in HoL before I heard Poe's song.

However, I don't see Haunted as being reliant on HoL, or vice versa. I enjoy the connections, but I don't think that the two pieces of work are inextricably related.

I am sorry for being a message board nerd, but why are we talking about this here and not in the Haunted forum?

Merouda

Comment

Originally posted by Angelhaunt
                Also, did you expect her to regurgitate her brother's book or use it as inspiration for creativity of her own?
                No, I didn't. But to me the "connection" between her album and the book almost seems to be a hastily scrapped together afterthought. More marketing than true artistic vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Merouda
                  I am sorry for being a message board nerd, but why are we talking about this here and not in the Haunted forum?
                  Heh, no need to apologise; I was about to ask the same question.

Comment

Well, I'm a message board nerd too, and hell, now I feel embarassed. lol. In my defense, I generally post at around 7am my time! lol So my thought process is buggy at best.
                    SO if an admin can either close or move this, I'm cool with it.

Comment

i look at haunted as a completely different entity from hol....like the difference between shock treatment and the rocky horror picture show...or the lucy show and i love lucy.....or the difference between charles nelson reilly and bizarro charles nelson reilly. two ideas sprung from the same seed, each good in their own right, each exploring different hallways of the same . does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by eurotrashkitty
                        does that make sense?
                        Everything except shock treatment being good in its own right.

Comment

Frankly, there is something unmentionable that I wouldn't mind seeing Poe's thick lips wrapped around....

Comment

I have to disagree. Haunted is one of the most versitile albums I have come across. I listen to when I write, work out, meditate, drive, etc. It's both relaxing and energizing, with lyrics and music that flow very well together. The focus (the family and father of Poe & MZD) is direct and moving.
                            This thread should be on the Haunted catagory.
                            The new setup it fantastic!

Frankly, there is something unmentionable that I wouldn't mind seeing Poe's thick lips wrapped around....
                            I wasn't going to say anything about this, but yeah. But I wouldn't say that too much, as I hear her brother lurks around....

Comment

I felt the same way as the first poster when I cracked open the cd and listened to it once back in 2000, when I bought it. I didn't listen again until a month ago, and my opinion has drastically changed.

I think it's a brilliant album, and speaks to the same core as of Leaves speaks to. To say they are tenuously connected is, I think, to ignore the emotional core they share, which is most likely a VERY personal one for Poe and MZD.

I also think her lyrics and passion are fantastic. I don't love every single moment of the album, but I think, all in all, it is an amazing work, and I'm shocked at the level of emotional honesty (just my opinion, of course, just what I hear) in this work.

This is not at all the "type" of music I listen to, normally. I'm a Mr. Bungle, Estradasphere, NoMeansNo sort of guy, more into agressive, and yes, male, music. So, my love of this album is sort of unusual for me. But, there you have it.

What is it they say about opinions and assholes? If you don't share my opinion you're an asshole, or something like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X