If you were here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were here

I have had the Haunted CD for a while (about 8 months or so), and I never really listened to the last half of it until last night. I bought it on sort of a whim (actually, her song Hey Pretty was featured on the Spyder Games soundtrack and I have a wierd obsession with that show, so I HAD to own it). Anyway, I thought the first half was really good, I liked the songs, but I never really paid attention to what she was saying. Then I read someone's post on here about actually LISTENING to the lyrics. I laid down on my bed last night and played the entire cd, from beginning to end. I had to go back and listen to the mysterious voice of her father over and over again. I was completely haunted (no pun intended) by the realness of her music. When I heard the song If You Were Here, I cried. Once the girl in the end said, "It's okay, you can go now," I was left staring at my sterio, in complete amazement. POE's music is so incredibly powerful, I can't believe I owned this album for so long and didn't realize what a treasure I had.
    As for you people who were wierded out by her haunting and somewhat disturbing lyrics, I have this to say to you:
    I once thought the same thing, but I urge you to LISTEN to the lyrics, and (trust me) you will find that they move you too.

-Katie [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you were here

i always have to skip the song..because itmakes me cry so..no matter what mood i am in....it makes me happy for her to realize the relationship with her father...
    him talking is soooo erie..but so moving [img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img]

Comment

If you were here

the lyrics in this song say everything that i wish i could have told my mother, and in some ways i have... by thinking of her when i hear it.

so Poe has helped me form a sort of closure with my mother, like it helped her with her father.

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: sordid_visions ]

Comment

If you were here

wish you were here makes me cry every time i listen to it... album is inherently disturbing and yet by the end it's oddly comforting with a twist of lemon mirengue to make you wish it didn't have to be over.

Comment

If you were here

I bought Haunted on the day that i met Poe - only because i was meeting her, and when i got home i listened to it, and i liked it, but it was kind of too creepy to listen to. I tried listening to it sometimes, and then never really got through the whole thing, and it wasn't until about a month later when i actually listened to the whole albumn the entire way through, paying attention to the lyrics that i fell in love with it. Haunted is one of the most powerful, amzing CDs I own, and i truly get something new from it every time i play it.

Comment

If you were here

I have been listening to POE for about ehh....along time maybe 5 years. When I first heard the Haunted album, I was in awe..I love it, I listened to it everynight before I went to bed...the whole entire album, I know all the words, what song is next and everything, she is truly an artist. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

If you were here

i had never heard of poe until my best friend bought this cd. now i'm obsessed with poe. i love listening to "if you were here" just so i can here the part at the end where she says "it's okay you can go now." how much meaning is in that one line? it gives me chills everytime i hear it.

Comment

Re: If you were here

Originally posted by yesanastasia18
                "it's okay you can go now." how much meaning is in that one line? it gives me chills everytime i hear it.
                I have to confess... that bit gets me every time too.

I know this thread is old though... so sorry:)

The line is even more moving when you have read the book.

Comment

It's okay, you can go now

isn't that what someone says in HOL? The mother to the kid, or something? Dying.....I'm don't really remember lol. But it's in a story that someone tells in HOL, and before someone dies, another person says that to them. Anyway, I love this song. It makes me cry.

Comment

"One more look at the ghost before I'm gonna make it leave."
                    ... (15 tracts later)

"It's okay, you can go now."

Comment

"If You Were Here" is also one of my favorite tracks.

I've been away from mommy and daddy for a year and when I heard that track, and when I heard the father talking in the end... I just had to call my father and tell him how much I miss him. It had been a few months since I had last called him. And it had been a year since I told him I loved and missed him...

Dad has this, Spanish accent, you see... and the voice on the track reminded me so much of him.

Father:Hello tiger, it's great fun, talking with you. like this--in fact, I'm going to do it more often

Now that I'm here I hear you and wonder if maybe you can hear yourself
                      Ringing in me now that you're somewhere else.

Father: I miss you a lot

'Cause I hear your strange music gentle and true

Father: Sharing with you some of my reflection

Singing inside me with the best parts of you

Now that I'm here

Father: But I'm so proud of everything you do there, love you most

I hope somewhere you hear them too

Father: Next time I see you you'll proudly sing it back to me

Now that I'm here

Father: Heh.. ohhh..

I love you...

Daughter: It's okay you can go now
                      One part that really sticks out to me is when he can't even find the words he would want to say (right after "Now that I'm here" and before "I love you..."). It's so soft, like he's choked up with an emotion that's undescribable. I've heard my father do that before, and when I've seen him do it, all I remember was his smile ("When you were here / You could not feel the value that I placed / On every look that crossed your face")...

Comment

I love the album.. I've been listening to it regularly for over three years and every time I listen to it I fall in love with it all over again.

Right now I'm reading HoL and the cd is taking on a whole new meaning.. I love the fact that I am learning to love it even more =]

Comment

Working...
                        X