Clear All

• Be gentle...

Forgive my ignorance...

What does Poe's music sound like?

Be gentle...

madonna on acid, funny thing is I don't like madonna but I love POE

Comment

Be gentle...

Yeah... you've really asked one doozy of a question. It's not easy to sum up Poe's style in a few words. She draws heavily from blues, jazz and r&b (the good old kind, not this junk we hear on the radio claiming to be r&b). But she also makes use of the modern rock sound with a flair for electronica.

In other words, it runs the gamut. The only way you'll really be able to know what the hell I'm talking about, is to listen to her CDs. Then, it should make perfect sense.

And Madonna's a chump compared to Poe.

-Endorphyne

Comment

Be gentle...

Agreed endorphyne, Madonna is MORE than a chump...I will not go into it. And Your comparisons to blues, R&B etc. are good. I hesitated stating "Madonna on Acid" but I think I will stick by it.

Comment

Be gentle...

You know, I tolerated a lot of Madonna's crap over the years, telling myself that it was artistic expression or what have you.

Like a Virgin, Erotica, The Sex Book. Tolerable. Like a prayer, her sudden interest in jewish mysticism (with her own bizarre interpretations), the whole need to have a kid without the commitment thing. These things I could accept as being her choices.

I draw the line at Don Maclean's American Pie. Madonna must be made to pay. You simply don't take a song like that, cut out six stanzas and put it to a pop beat. I bet she's never even owned a Buddy Holly album.

I think that one of the things I love most about Poe is that she's a powerful woman who doesn't need to flaunt it. She has the self-confidence to know that she is master of her own destiny, and that's good enough for her. The songs that most people construe as being about feminism, I don't. I think they're about her, not female empowerment. She doesn't need any more of that.

-Endorphyne

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: endorphyne ]

Comment

Be gentle...

Glad to help. I hope you go get the album, her music has affected me in ways I can't possibly describe. The fear that she wouldn't release a second album was horrifying to me. Thank god for Haunted.

-Endorphyne

Comment

Be gentle...

Thanks to both of you for the interesting and informative dialogue. I may just check her out.

Take it easy. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X