Translation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation

People, how did you find the German translation?
    I find it really great.

i don't like it too much

I read a part of the German translation today and there's a major "mistake" that kinda takes my motivation to read this version.

the translator turned the English "you" into "ihr/euch" which is plural.
    I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be "du/dir" which is singular and will have a deeper effect on the reader as Johnny talks "zu dir" and not "zu euch".

I do think that this is one of the essences of the novel as you become a part of the story and it can unfold its (let me call it) impact on you.

so I reckon I'm not gonna read the German translation.

what dou YOU think?

Comment

Originally posted by stunn
      what dou YOU think?
      Is that the plural /You/ or the singular?

Comment

serious question, serious answer.

...my first post and instantly some pseudo-comedian turns up and tries to be funny...

are there any other people with an opinion about the translation?

Comment

Well, I haven't read the book in English (but I have to, I know, I know) , but I understood the plural "ihr/euch" as a communication with the readers. If the translator would translate it with "Du", it would be just another communicative situation: it would be more narrative.

But now, thanks for the remark, if I imagine Johnny saing "Du", it is really much deeper feeling, it's somehow claustrophobic, because you are vis-a-vis with Johnny, without other co-readers.

Really, I've to read original.

Comment

Originally posted by Merzmensch
            But now, thanks for the remark, if I imagine Johnny saing "Du", it is really much deeper feeling, it's somehow claustrophobic, because you are vis-a-vis with Johnny, without other co-readers.
            got me

this is exactly what I was talking about. of course, there are many readers but when you (singular) read it, I think Danielewski's aim is to get you (singular) into the story and make you a part of it.

at least, this is how I understand the story so far.

that doesn't have to mean I'm right. just an idea...

Comment

No I'd say you were right.

Comment

Originally posted by stunn
                serious question, serious answer.

...my first post and instantly some pseudo-comedian turns up and tries to be funny...

are there any other people with an opinion about the translation?

No opinion about the translation as yet (haven't read it), but it sure looks pretty on the shelf.

Personally, the plural form of /You/ doesn't bother me. In fact, it seems quite appropriate when taken in the sense that HoL isn't for the collective /You/, i.e. it can't signify a general meaning, but only a subjectively personal meaning. Further, if it isn't for either the plural or singular /You/, then even the subjective meaning derived from a reading cannot comprise all meaning within. All /You/s become part of the story, but in a fractured sense. Something to the effect of many roads reaching the same end but still falling short of the destination, even when those roads are combined. Maybe we'll square this circle one day...
                Last edited by juxtapolemic; 10-01-2007, 11:02 PM.

Comment

As I do not know the original, I can't really tell abut the quality of the translation process. But what I can say from the first.. umm... roughly 70 pages, a bit more maybe, is that the book is really fascinating.

The german version doesn't sound dry, and although I do not understand many of the references, I still want to keep reading and learn more about Jhonny Truant and about the Navidson record.

I don't think I'll get much sleep in the next weeks...

Comment

Info for the collectors: "Das " paperback edtion, ISBN: 978-3-442-73970-7, will be out in november 2009.

Comment

Thanks Magda.

Comment

Working...
                      X