X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know Japanese

Yet. But I'm taking it first semester in college, and hopefully second, and hopefully next year as well. Because one must have four semesters of Japanese to go to Japan, and that's what I plan on doing Junior year. So fear not: my magnific presence will grace this forum soon.

Even if I am the only one.

So desu ka?

Watashi wa Nihongo o chotto hanashimasu.

Hirigana, katakana, kanji wakarimasen.

That's close to the full stock of what I can say.

Comment

If someone can help me figure out how to unsubscribe from amazon.co.jp's e-newsletter please let me know

Comment

Originally posted by MicheleVR5
        If someone can help me figure out how to unsubscribe from amazon.co.jp's e-newsletter please let me know
        Go to アカウントサービス (Your account').

Look for the heading アカウント設定 (Account settings).

Click on "Amazon.co.jp 情報配信サービスの内容を変更する" (Update your communication preferences)

Uncheck all the boxes, and confirm.

That should do it.

By the way, I don't know any Japanese, but I hate spamazon.

(a handy tip is to hover the cursor over links and look at the url displayed at the bottom of your browser in English)

Comment

Thanks! Now that I finally said something about it, I notice they have a "show the site in English" option. :idea: ](*,)

Comment

ganbarimasho

Nihongo wa chotto muzukashi desu yo. Hiragana to katakana wakarimasu, the rest is a mystery to me quite frankly but as I am here i must persevere. Haven`t spotted HOL in any bookshops here just yet, but will keep looking- I can imagine a japanese version would look...interesting to say the least.

Comment

Re: ganbarimasho

Originally posted by zakalwe
              Nihongo wa chotto muzukashi desu yo. Hiragana to katakana wakarimasu, the rest is a mystery to me quite frankly but as I am here i must persevere. Haven`t spotted HOL in any bookshops here just yet, but will keep looking- I can imagine a japanese version would look...interesting to say the least.
              Zakalwe-san nihon ni imasu ka?

Comment

1exist wrote:
                Zakalwe-san nihon ni imasu ka?
                hai, imasu. watashi wa hatchi-gestu Nihon ni kara kimashita. This places me at a safe distance from Fatwoul, whom I have just accidentally (and then deliberately) irritated.

Am at my desk in a junior high school in japan as I type this; I have to go and explain Thanksgiving and then play volleyball with some screeching girls. Have you been to Kyushu? Nagasaki is beautiful but terribly cold at this time of year.

Comment

1exist wrote:

hai, imasu. watashi wa hatchi-gestu Nihon ni kara kimashita. This places me at a safe distance from Fatwoul, whom I have just accidentally (and then deliberately) irritated.

Am at my desk in a junior high school in japan as I type this; I have to go and explain Thanksgiving and then play volleyball with some screeching girls. Have you been to Kyushu? Nagasaki is beautiful but terribly cold at this time of year.
                  hatchi-gestu? Sorry, I've only taken 101 (102 next semester), but if I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with being a teacher assistant? With JET Program? If so, let me know how it is. I'm considering it for after graduation, to help pay for grad school.

Comment

Apologies, I mis-transliterated. I meant hachi-gatsu ie August (8-month).

Anyway, yes I'm with the JET program. It's working out pretty well- entertaining and reasonably challenging with decent pay and some interesting people so long as you don't mind going a few days at a time without speaking to anyone who has more than a basic command of your native language. You'd probably have to do 2 years to save up much money though: kitting out your apartment, paying "key money" (a huge non-refundable deposit) and so on take up most of your spare pay for the 1st few months at least. I asked around and the 2nd years say they managed to start sending quite a bit home each month towards the end of the 1st year. Pay is about 300 000 yen a month, minus rent so approx 250 000 which is 2500 US I think.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.

Comment

That's cool (the JET Program). I thought about doing that myself after a couple semesters of Japanese. Oddly enough, two of my best friends were both teaching English over there with different programs. Neither knew about the other, hadn't spoken for years, ran into each other in Sapparo.

Weird.

Anyway, that's all.

Comment

Apologies, I mis-transliterated. I meant hachi-gatsu ie August (8-month).

Anyway, yes I'm with the JET program. It's working out pretty well- entertaining and reasonably challenging with decent pay and some interesting people so long as you don't mind going a few days at a time without speaking to anyone who has more than a basic command of your native language. You'd probably have to do 2 years to save up much money though: kitting out your apartment, paying "key money" (a huge non-refundable deposit) and so on take up most of your spare pay for the 1st few months at least. I asked around and the 2nd years say they managed to start sending quite a bit home each month towards the end of the 1st year. Pay is about 300 000 yen a month, minus rent so approx 250 000 which is 2500 US I think.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.
                        That sounds about what I was expecting, hopefully we can keep in touch long enough for me to ask more questions when they become pertinent. I don't think I'd mind living frugally, so long as there's food and heat, of course. The main reasons I'd have for going would to be work on my writing, save for grad school, and gather an overall sense of inspiration about life by doing something completely alien and remote from what I'm used to... plus I've always wanted to go to Japan, for various reasons. How many years are you staying? I've gotten the impression that the minimum is 2, the maximum 3 (with certain exceptions of course). And if you're staying for more than 1 year, do you plan on coming hope in between (and what about holidays)? Relationships... are a concern. But the whole thing seems wonderful and intriguing.

Comment

hopefully we can keep in touch long enough for me to ask more questions when they become pertinent.
                          By all means.

The main reasons I'd have for going would to be work on my writing, save for grad school, and gather an overall sense of inspiration about life by doing something completely alien and remote from what I'm used to
                          Me too. Minimum is 1 year, max usually 3 with exceptions for the best JETs. I think roughly 50% stay for the one year: you arrive in august and decide whether to recontract or not in Feb. I'm about 50/50 on that decision at the moment; the experience certainly is unique and the kids are generally bright, eager and very odd. However, there's a rather gossipy/incestuous feel to the JET community and some people posted to rural areas whose Japanese isn't good get very lonely. You can specify an urban preference on the application; I did and am glad.

Holidays: you get 20 days paid leave (which you can take whenever) and the approx 20 japanese national holidays free; don't even think about calling in sick for work unless you have ebola or worse. Some people go home for xmas, most prefer to explore asia. Golden Week in may-2 days paid leave slotted in between the holidays gets you a 10 day break, another good time to go home or abroad.

Relationships- an alarming number of jets get married to gorgeous japanese girls; one of my friends is successfully resisting their charms and staying with his girl back home; others...make do.

You get loads of time at school when you're not teaching- ideal to work on your writing which will be necessary to avoid the gradual decline into monosyllabic pidgin english which many JETS succumb to.

Comment

...gorgeous japanese girls...
                            Hey, sign me up!

...the gradual decline into monosyllabic pidgin english which many JETS succumb to.
                            Like you, you mean?

But seriously; you are aware that you have an inbox, right?

Comment

Sorry, replied now. How did you link to my inbox? Wily, wily syzygy.

F_S:

zakalwe wrote:
                              ...the gradual decline into monosyllabic pidgin english which many JETS succumb to.

Like you, you mean?
                              Yup. Imu-fine-sanko-you. Let's play soccer! Beckham! do you play ze sexxsu everday? Nice, nice OK. See you!

Comment

Working...
                              X